Perth Manor Boutique Hotel

Jun 22nd, 2018 | By | Category: Travel

This fine home was constructed at a cost of 12,000 Pounds in 1878 by J.T. Henderson formerly of Belleville. It was originally referred to as “Thurreson Place” and served as a family home. J.T. Henderson was “trained in the law…” but instead opened a very successful mercantile house in Perth from which he sold various products such as dry goods, liquor, and steamer tickets. The house was later taken over by his daughter Jessie Mabel.

Jessie Mabel was married to John A. Stewart, a local man of considerable wealth and prominence in Perth. He practiced law and at various times was President of Wampole Co. Ltd., the Andrew Jergens’ Company Ltd., and the Perth Shoe Company. He was one of the partners in the McLaren Brewery and Distillery and local newspaper, The Perth Expositor.

J.A. Stewart was elected into the House of Commons in 1918 and served as Minister of Railways and Canals in the Meighen Administration; he was also Mayor of Perth for two terms. Mrs. Stewart had a park designed and constructed as a memorial to him. Beautiful Stewart Park is located on Haggart’s Island on the site of the former McLaren Distillery, directly behind the Perth Town Hall on Gore Street.

The Stewarts Tudorized the prevailing Italiante look of the Manor by adding leaded bay windows plus a porte-cochere.

After her death in April 1956 and having lived in the Manor for more than sixty years the house was purchased by Eric & Eleanor Sabiston and family. As Mr. Sabiston was viewed as the son the Stewarts never had, and by successfully filling the position of president of the Perth Shoe Co. for many years. The Stewarts in their last will & testament offered Mr. Sabiston first right of refusal for Thurreson Place. The Sabiston’s are reported to have enjoyed the ‘Big House’ and hosted many lavish parties for the elite of the era. Many locals nicknamed the Manor ‘Sabiston Castle’ due to its size and surrounding stone wall.

In the early 1970’s, owner & founder Catherine Doornberg with her daughter Suzanne converted the Manor from a Private Residence into a senior’s home. At that time residents of the Manor were charged $10.00 per day which included housekeeping, meals, security, & the opportunity to live in such a grand home.

In the 1990’s Phil & Gisela Aston purchased the Manor and converted it into an Inn with Restaurant. By the mid to late 90’s the Restaurant was closed and the Manor was downsized to a Bed and Breakfast.

In April 2002 it was purchased by Michael Dwyer & David Marshall, or “The Manor Boyz” as the folks of Perth fondly refer to them.

The Partners restored, renovated, and applied the concept of Boutique Hotel to the Manor. Offering on-site Event Planning for Corporate and Special Events made perfect sense for this magnificent venue.

They installed ensuite private baths in all guest rooms, as well as direct dial phones with private voicemail, Televisions, CD & DVD players, wireless internet, fine linens, and amenities many enjoy today.

In May of 2011 Gordon and Linda Craig and their daughter Tyanna purchased The Manor and have continued to operate as a Boutique Hotel. As professional musicians with the Kingston Symphony and experienced caterers, The Manor allows them to blend two passions into one. Special events featured at The Manor include a musical themed dinner focused on the cuisine and music of a city or country, and in winter a Classical Chamber music series.

The Manor and grounds continue to be restored, and resemble very closely the design Mrs. Stewart had originally intended.In the spring and summer month’s varieties of antique and unusual flowers bloom once again.

Leave a Comment